Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Angles, Angles, Angles!!

The hardest cutting is now done. When a home has passed the 50 year age,
you can usually expect some settling. This can cause the room corners to be
out of the hopeful 45 degree angles. So, when replacing ceiling/ wall trim
or floor mopboards you might need to figure out every single corner separately
as no two may still be alike. So instead of just 4 easy right angles, there has to be 8 from the 4 different sized angles to measure for.

Now, that is what I encountered in my bathroom. I had to make a different
corner pattern for each ot the 4 corners. Not much off, but just enough to be a neusance. So, I used a separate piece of cardboard to mark every corner. I had
just enough room between the wallboard and the ceiling to slide in a thin piece of cardboard. Then I used a pencil to draw down both wall sides of that corner onto the cardboard. next came using the trusty compass and the geometery to find the exact center of the two side lines and that center becomes the place where the corner
trim must be cut so the two connecting side trim boards will hit together like they should. Once you have made all four corners onto separate pieces of cardboard and bisected them to find the exact centers, it is time to start cutting the corners of all 4 pieces of trim. That means all 8 corners. Now, that wouldn`t be such a hard job if you remembered to write on each cardboard what both sides fits. Some ideas I used were-

board 1 --needed one half of the cardboard corner for the tub/ window corner, and the window/ dinning room wall side.
Board 2 needed the other half of the window/dining room wall corner and half of the dining room/door wall corner.
Board 3 needed the other half of the Dining room/door corner and the other end of the same board needed the Door wall/ sink corner .
Board 4 needed the other half of the door/sink corner and the other end of this board will use the other half of the tub/window corner. Now this 4th board gets me back to the first boards corner.
After I cut each of the 2 corners of the first board, I immediately marked on the back which corner went where in the room. I cut the 2nd corner where the proper length was needed for that board. This meant I didn`t need to cut a third time--cutting length along with the 2nd corner on each board so when the second corner was cut it was left the right length to fit the room.
Next was to mark the back of the other 3 boards as they were cut so would know which board went where in the room... get one confused and none of the boards corners or length would connect together and all that hard work would be for nothing.

I finished all that and put on the 1st coat of primer paint. I am using that primer that covers all marks and discolored spots to be sure all boards end up the exact same tone when painted. Now the boards will sit overnight and If I`m not too tired, I will paint more tomorrow.

Taking me a long time to get the bathroom finished since I have been spending so much time going here and there away from home. But, it is getting there, even if just a little a day. Takes more time cutting corners as I ran in and out from the house to the shop tsting each board to be sure it fit. Now, If I have them all cut ok, the rest should go smoothly. Could have done it faster, but I am one of those who adds about a half inch longer than I need for the first cut and then trims the corners down to fit.

I figure I can always cut off a little more, but i can`t add those slivers back on, so I measure twice, then cut a speck bigger, then cut again. More work for myself, but much better chance of fitting.

Well, I will be resting the rest of the evening so I can do more tomorrow.


Comments:
Sounds like you have been working hard on your project, hope it turns out just the way you want it.

Our house is 76 years old, we sat and admired how well they did everything when they remodeled, all the floors and the moldings and woodwork look quite nice considering the floors are definately NOT level.
 
I have a huge amount of things to do to my house to get it into any kind of decent shape....I need to sit down and write up a list, then slowly cross things off as they're done.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start and sometimes when I read you, I wonder if I'll ever get anything done because I certainly don't have the knowledge that you do about these things.

I guess I should just start with the list...I do know how to write lol

Good luck with the painting :)
 
Sounds like you are doing a good job Dot. I'm sure it will all be worth it.
 
Deni, thats my next project. I have a floor that is starting to tilt a tiny speck around where the stairs were cut out and the weight of the upstairs is over the cellar stairs. Leaves less support there and the one post isn`t supporting it all enough. , so I bought a couple jacks and the cement for making a base to sit the jack on. Bought it last winter, but decided I should wait till it warmed up enough to open the cellar windows so I won`t keep smelling the cement while it is drying. Plus while the furnace is running it might put the smell all over the house and I`d rather not be breathing it.
I hope mine looks half as good as the pros did on your house as I`m no pro.
 
Lisa, Look around and start with a smaller easier job first. Once you see that job done, you will feel more like tackling a second small job. Leave the harder ones till later as you will get more experience with each job you get done. Plus, seeing what you have accomplished will amaze you. You never know what you can do until you have done it. Used to be so much easier when there were two of us to do things-- helps to have someone holding the other end in place while the other one is nailing . Even easier to measure the top length of a long wall with someone holding the other end of the tape measure for you. I ended up putting up a couple nails for the tape to slide along to keep the other end tight to the ceiling in place. As they say, where there`s a will, there`s a way.
Once you get started you will amaze yourself with what you are able to do.
 
Kat, thanks. I hope it looks ok when I finish. If not, I am stuck with the results. My biggest problem is that I often expect too much and want things to be as close to perfect as I can get them, and when I see where I should have done better , I sometimes let it get to me. Have had others tell me things look good and then I mention where I should have done better and they say they never saw it till I pointed it out to them. I`m my worst critic.
 
hello dot. you are always getting in to one project or another. you sure we aren't related.
 
Dot, they did jack my house up and put in new basement walls and support, but the floors still lean. There is only so far you can raise a house before the walls crack. There is also an original granite wall down the center of my basement, I don't think the house is going anywhere. It would take dynamite or an earthquake to move that wall.
 
dot
You know what?
I am sorry that I am not your neighbor or else I would have been learning those things from you.
 
Hey there Jac, you just left me a note from myself that you wrote. Now that is something. Thanks for your help with the butterfly.
 
Now Mr Haney, I could be related to most anyone and not know it. You see, my grandfather on my fathers side was adopted and noone was able to find out what his birth parents names were. So, my Dad grew up with the adopted parents name and passed it on to me and my brothers and sisters.
So, who am I really??? I probably will never know, but they had to be kind gentle people since my Dad and his Family were warm loving people.
Now, bet you never expected that reply. LOL.
 
deni, with that extra cellar wall, your house should stay strong. I found out that one wall was almost an inch wider than the opposit wall. Had to have happened when part of the other bedroom was added to the bathroom for the tub to be set in off the origional basthroom to make more room. I could have straightened iot, but it doesn`t show unless you use a tape measure, so why do all that extra work.
I am hoping that when i add the jacks i can very slowly raise the leaned end of the dinning room and bathroom wall. Even if the jacks just prevent the floor from going any further it will be ok as the slope is unnoticeable unless you set a level on it.
 
It is better you do it now before it gets worse. I have seen some people put permanent jacks under their house. The slanted floors in my house are noticable, I have to put shims under some of my furniture, but I still like my house, I think the crooked floors give it a bit of character.

Maybe that is why I have been feeling a little off balance lately. :)
 
Deni, when we added the closed in porch to make the kitchen larger we had two heights as the porch was a short step down lower. Walt and I made a second floor over the first porch floor to raise it even with the origional kitchen floor. There were a few places where we used shims between the old and new floor support framework to level up the floor before we boarded up the framework. That was back around 1973 and the shims have held up fine and the floor is still level. Maybe I should knock on wood. LOL.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?